February 20, 2013

Vegetable and Goat's Feta Muffins (gluten and grain free)


I've been a long time fan of home baked sweet muffins (anything that combines sweet and home baked is pretty much a sure thing with me). Homemade sweet muffins look or taste nothing like those big, puffed up blueberry muffins that in every second cafe these days. They look a bit rustic, each one a little unique with good sized chunks of berries or nuts bursting through the nicely golden top. And warm from the oven with a dollop of butter you've got yourself a perfect any time of the day treat. 

Until about a month ago savoury muffins had never really registered on my radar. I don't recall ever having had a savoury muffin, possibly the closest thing would have to be a mini frittata muffin and I would have to rate them as average. At a friend's place recently I was introduced to Tania Hubbard's Gluten Free Grain Free Food We Love cookbook and after sampling two of the grain free recipes that my friend so kindly cooked us for lunch (thanks Kirst, it was an amazing meal) I rushed out the next week and borrowed the book from the library. 

Tania has a great wholesome recipe for savoury muffins and I got straight to testing it out. The result you ask...wholesome goodness!  Very easy to make, extremely satisfying, nourishing, great to pack for lunch or when you're in a rush and they freeze well. And you don't have to stick exactly to the recipe. The goats feta though is a must!  I've made quite a few batches now, each time including different vegetable combo's depending on what I have on hand, and slightly mixing up the flour mixture.


Wholesome Vegetable and Goat's Feta Muffin Recipe 

Recipe adapted from Tania Hubbard's cookbook
(gluten and grain free) 

2 small zucchini
2 small carrots
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin
1/4 cup firmly packed silver beet, stalk removed
1 tsp dried thyme or mix of dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil and sage
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
180g goat milk feta
1/2 cup buckwheat flour (you could use coconut flour instead or 1/4 buckwheat and 1/4 coconut flakes chopped finely)
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp creme of tartar
6 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 180C. Use a 12 muffin tray, either grease or use cupcake papers. I used left over roast pumpkin, if you don't have any on hand, chop pumpkin and roast for 20mins both sides. Grate zucchini and carrots into a large bowl. Chop or crumble goat milk feta into small pieces and add to bowl. When your pumpkin is done add to the bowl. I used my hands to shred silver beet into smallish strips, add to bowl. Add dried herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper to the bowl. Use a spoon and combine until well mixed through. Add flour, bicarb soda and creme of tartar. Blend well. In a separate bowl lightly whisk the 6 eggs and pour into the main mixture. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. 

Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they spring back when lightly pressed in the middle. Or use a cake tester and put through the middle of a muffin, when cooked it will come out dry. They will be golden brown on the top. Take out and let sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack until ready to eat. Serve warm with good quality butter and a side salad.

Keep in the fridge for about 4 days. Excellent to freeze.

Makes 12.

6 comments:

  1. Natalie, this is a godsend. My husband has to eat gluten-free and cow's milk-free food for the next little while, so planning meals around here has been more of a challenge lately. I'm a huge fan of savoury muffins - especially zucchini, basil and coconut ones that I make frequently - but I think my boys are a little bored with them. I have goat's cheese in the fridge and herbs in the garden... I'll be making them for everyone's lunch tomorrow. Thanks Natalie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa I'm so glad! Let me know what you think of them. And look out for dairy, gluten and grain free crumble recipe coming up very soon....

      Delete
  2. oh they look delicious, will definitely be trying them out soon. Thanks for the reminder about savoury muffins, it has to be tasty, it's a muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome and yes will have to give these a go. Happy days sweet lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious! Savoury muffins are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want one of these delicious muffins. I love savoury food of course finished off with something sweet after. So glad I visited and found your beautiful blog. xxx

    ReplyDelete

thank you for sharing your thoughts. i love reading each and every comment x