November 14, 2013

An island holiday


A few months ago, at the tail end of Winter I went on a spontaneous holiday to Great Keppel Island with friends from down south in chilly Melbourne.  I've had the photos for this post ready for ages, but no words, so I kept waiting for a moment that felt right to write so I could hit publish. On this rainy night at home and in a week where words aren't flowing about the present moment, it felt like a good time to look back over happy holidays snaps, write something and share them with you. 
We spent four days tucked away on our island holiday and spent our days walking barefoot on sand, swimming and snorkelling in crystal clear water, making sandcastles and exploring different parts of the island. Nothing to achieve, nothing to rush towards, just the simple pleasure of living in the moment. 

It was so nice to spend such quality time with Emma, Matt and Finn again. Living miles away from each other we don't get to catch up that often and when we do it's usually only for a few hours or a day at the most. It was delightful to have days instead of hours together.  We didn't have to rush to madly catch up on all the news, instead there was more time to play, and be and laugh whilst conversation flowed.

And of course we spent a great deal of time eating, reading and sleeping. We made simple meals of eggs, fish, tomatoes, leafy greens, rock melon and papaya. It's amazing how good simple, wholesome food is when you slow down to really experience each mouthful. 

Each night after a cup of tea and a few squares of chocolate I curled up in my large tent on a wooden platform with my book and read until the generator was switched off precisely at 10pm and all was dark and quiet again on the island. Bliss!

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place to holiday. Love your photos, thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it sounds like such a dreamy holiday! and such wonderful photos too. I'm visiting from Maxabella's and glad I found this gorgeous new blog to explore! have a wonderful Friday xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely photos, good to do a little armchair island hopping with you this grey arvo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful memories! My heart is smiling and I can almost taste again the sunshine xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it looks like heaven, Natalie! I've never been to Keppel but I'm busting to go and take our daughter now that she's a good age to holiday with. Have you done much else of QLD? I wonder how it compares to other islands? Gorgeous photos, you look very relaxed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so beautiful! I bet that brings back memories of the sun on your skin and the sand between your toes. I can feel it now and I wasn't even there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful trip you've had! Such a great idea to get away with the weather the way it has been for us in the southern parts of the country. I've never been to Great Keppel, looks gorgeous. You're photos are just stunning :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that sounds blissful! I want that! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nat, lots of gorgeous pics here. I hope you are well and I am wishing you a wonderful 2014. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete