October 05, 2012

More gratitude. More hope. More love. #12

27.09.12

Life is better with a good book.

I'm back. Full to the brim with gratitude. Days worth of it in fact. I'm slowing realising how much thought and energy is needed to keep up with regular posts. A challenge I'm up for. 

Thursday last week was spent soaking up the sunshine with Ness, browsing shops and surrounding myself with words, words, words - crosswords and books. 

Books are my first true love, mostly fiction. No matter what is happening in my life I can always pick up a book and lose myself in a story. I've always been that way. I used to wake up early as a kid to fit in maximum reading time before school and would fall asleep with a book lamp and book in hand at the end of the day.  I remember travels in terms of books I read at the time- The Lover in Vietnam, Picnic at Hanging Rock in London and Shiver in the Gold Coast (last week).  


This week I discovered an awesome social enterprise Brotherhood books , an online second-hand bookstore initiative run by the Brotherhood of St Laurence. The Brotherhood do GOOD stuff! You get a book at a good price whilst supporting an awesome charity and keeping more stuff out of landfill. A total win-win situation! Another favourite is my local second-hand bookstore Desire Books in Sydney, run by the very lovely and creative Katy, and her partner.  

Gratitude for the opportunity to bury my nose in a book and for the places it takes me. 

I'd love to hear what some of your favourite books so please do share. 

2 comments:

  1. My most recent favourite read is the Ninth life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen. This is the second of her books I've read and both have been so unique. Can't wait to get my hands on the next, which could be a while as I struggle to find her in Australian bookstores...
    A favourite short story of mine - by the intriguing Miranda July! - The swim team.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to pull Miranda July off the bookshelf to re-read and I've just found The Ninth Life of Louis Drax on the Brotherhoods Books website I was talking about-now I just need to choose two more books and they'll be delivered for free.

      Delete

thank you for sharing your thoughts. i love reading each and every comment x